I cooked it for the first time tonight and it was delicious. I recently discovered www.eatingwell.com and came across some delicious meals that I've already tried with my family and they loved it! They have some low-cal, on a budget meals, along w.desserts, salads, and what not.
So far I've learned how to make fajita turkey burgers, how to mix baby spinach and lettuce with cantaloupe for a yummy salad and tonight, this meal took the award home. Please read my comments (which are in red) because I made some small changes, but it was scrumptious nevertheless. and did I forget to say HEALTHY!?!?!?
Aqui va:
Chicken with Whole-Grain Mustard & Zucchini in Packets
Mustard and thyme flavor chicken and veggies in this easy dinner.
4 servings
Active Time: Total Time:
Ingredients
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip) - I did not have boneless breasts, so i just left the breasts with the bones and just split each breast in 2 so it's not so big
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard - Couldn't find whole grain mustard at the store so I used regular mustard
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced - I used 3, I love zucchini!
- 2 sweet banana peppers, or cubanelle peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced - I heard shallots are just fancy onions, and I didn't have them so I just used regular yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preparation
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- To prepare packets, start with four 20- to 24-inch-long pieces of parchment paper or foil. Fold in half crosswise. With the parchment or foil folded, draw half a heart shape on one side as you would if you were making a Valentine. Use scissors to cut out the heart shape. Open up the heart. (I would just use aluminum foil if you're using the oven. I didn't bother being specific about this. I just cut some pieces of foil big enough to wrap each piece of chicken and that would hold up the chicken juice)
- Place a chicken breast on one side of each open heart fairly close to the crease and leaving at least a 1-inch border around the edges for folding and spread with mustard. (Before placing each chicken breast in the foil, I put the chicken pieces in a bowl and let it marinade with mustard and smashed garlic for a few minutes)
- Toss zucchini, peppers, shallots, tomatoes, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place about 1 1/4 cups of the vegetable mixture on top of each piece of chicken.
- Close the packet to cover the ingredients. Starting at the top, seal the packet by folding the edges together in a series of small, tight folds. Twist the tip of the packet and tuck it underneath to help keep the packet closed. Place the packets on a large rimmed baking sheet (packets may overlap slightly). Bake until the vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, about 25 minutes. (Carefully open one package to check for doneness be cautious of the steam.) (I don't have a thermometer, I just poked the meat with fork to see if it was cooked.). Let the packets rest unopened for 5 minutes before serving.
I'm not normally one who likes to brag about her skills, but I think I'm beginning to master the art of cooking. hehehe...because this was incredible!
I invite you to make it! Easy, fast, healthy and sooo good! Can you say 243 calories?!!? and that's with a whole chicken breast! that's like 2 granola bars! not bad at all!
so if you want the original link, here it is http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_with_whole_grain_mustard_zucchini_in_packets.html
Good luck everyone!
ps: The important stuff below.
Nutrition
Per serving: 243 calories; 9 g fat ( 2 g sat , 5 g mono ); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 522 mg sodium; 619 mg potassium.Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
No comments:
Post a Comment