You know when you're really happy about someone and what they have done or what they are doing, but you get caught in other things and never take the time to talk to them or call or text or email or you just don't know how to tell them, "Hey! just wanted to let you know I'm really happy and proud of you...or I'm grateful for what you're doing...or it's so awesome to see you succeed or do so well...or wow you're coming a long way!" Anyway, I've been wanting to jot down my thoughts about my little brother for a while since last time I went to Florida (exactly a month ago Aug 12). I also wanted to write something about his high school graduation back in June when we visited because I was just so happy for him, but again, I never took the time...so here's a little belated post about this kid named Ricardo, who happens to be my brother.
Here are some facts about him and our relationship, so you can get to know him better
- We were both born April 17th. He, 1993, and I, 1984. We are 9 years apart.
- I remember the day my mom told me she was pregnant with him. I was sooooo happy and ecstatic! I was 8 years old and I was so tired of being an only child. I had wanted a sibling since I was like 3, it sucked playing alone! So when I learned of his existence I was on cloud 9, and then the day he was born, it was definitely one of the happiest days of my life. I remember seeing him in the nursery in the hospital when he was 1 day old and I couldn't believe he was mine, I finally had a brother, and although we were so many years apart and couldn't really play together, I was excited to help my mom take care of him.

- Since he was 3 till I graduated high school, I would babysit him after school and he would throw apples at me when we would sit down for lunch. He would also call me, "MALA, FEA, GORDA!" (Meanie, ugly, fat) and would add a "YA NO TE QUIERO!" (I don't love you anymore) during his tantrums.
- I wasn't very nice during that same time either. I would always yell, "RICARDO! COME!" (eat, in Spanish) and would tell him he was crazy and wouldn't have friends if he kept throwing apples at me. Don't judge, it was the start of my teenage-hood, everyone is rude then. I apologized for this recently.
- He went from liking rap and hip hop, Usher and 50 cent, to being a hardcore rocker and liking bands like Bring me the Horizon and the Devil wears Prada during his high school days.
- When he was 3, I once caught him calling 9-11 because my mom didn't let him watch TV.
- He is one of the most forgiving and non-judgmental people I know.
 |
| When I was mean and he was annoying. The apple throwing years |
- I wish I had his metabolism. He eats so much and doesn't gain a pound!
- He had to mature fast, at a very young age, growing up in a single-parent home and maintaining a good relationship with both my mom and dad when things were very rocky. I definitely learned that lesson from him. He really was the example of having to be like a child, and loving like a child.
- He is a gentleman, I don't think he's ever mistreated a girl.
- When he was little, he would eat eggs and hot dogs with everything. It was crazy!
- He has super awesome curly hair. I have always been envious of this. Why did I get the boring straight hair!?!?? I wanted his curls so bad! he is such a stud!
- He is so patient, especially when people around him freak out. He is just chill and cool.
 |
| when he dropped me off at BYU in 2002 |
- I always wish I could've been there for him more and that we would've had more years growing up together.. Unfortunately I left home for college when he was only 9 and the only time we spent together was on holidays and summers.
- He can pull some sweet stunts on his skateboard and rollerblades.
- When he graduated, everyone and their mom was putting a ton of pressure on my dad to buy him a car, but Ricardo shut everyone up by saying he wanted to buy his first car on his own with the money he was saving. That's right people! he's taking charge! that's how you teach your kids responsibility and independence!
- He is so sweet and affectionate to my mom, my dad, me, my baby...I love it. He doesn't act like he's too cool for it.
- He recently started working as a telerecruiter for Florida's Blood Centers and is currently a full-time student at Valencia Community College.
- He is the first priesthood holder in our family, and it has been a huge blessing for my mom and our home.

Ricardo, I love you bro. I am so happy for you and how far you're coming along. I can't believe you're not my little baby brother anymore. You are a man, and not just by age, but you're showing it through your actions. I know I always gave you a hard time for not trying enough, or for your grades or whatever, but now all I hear are wonders about you. And not just coming from mom. You're working and going to school, and taking responsibility for your own things, becoming more independent.You have your priorities straight, with things at work, school, church, family, friends, homework, social life, etc. When you talked to me about your experience with your patriarchal blessing, I felt like I was talking to a missionary, a mature priesthood holder, I felt so happy. Thanks for being there for mom when i couldn't be there because of school or my mission. You took on the role of being the man of the house when you were just 9. Thanks for being my friend, my buddy, and for also being there for dad and always showing us love, patience, and friendship. You are one of a kind. I know that if you continue to go forward, working hard, studying hard, serving others, and staying strong in the gospel, you will be successful in whatever you do, in any career path you choose, and I know that your future wife and kids are going be so lucky and grateful to have you. Man, you are a stud. And remember there is a little person that is going to look up to you and follow your example. Hint: He calls you "Cayooooo!"
 |
| Here I'm the tallest... |
 |
| Here I am NOT |
 |
| Here I get a kiss on my BYU graduation 2006 |
 |
| Here he gets one on his high school graduation 2011 |
 |
| Remember he is watching! mwahaha! |
 |
| The proud gang! |
Esta muy bonito hijita y es cierto como el dice el tiene el buen ejemplo tuyo, aunque creiamos q el seria diferente verdad? por lo flojito q era, pero ahora es todo un hombre responsable. Estoy muy agradecida a mi padre celestial por los hijos maravillosos q me ha dado, mejor no pudo ser los amo a los dos con toda la energia del mundo y del infinito, estoy muy pero muy orgullosa de uds, soy muy bendecida .
ReplyDeleteTu mama, nana Yova
Querida Ingrid:
ReplyDeleteTu no me conoces pero yo si desde peru desde cuando eras chiquita y te veia pasar al frente de mi casa en Peru...y como deseaba todavia ser parte de la vida de ustedes...Pero la vida...nos separo..por malos entendidos..y perdi a tu mama..esa herida quedo muy profunda en mi corazon..sabes?? crei que nunca volveria a encontrar a alguien como ella...tan buena, tan amiga .tan excelente ser humano...han pasado mas de 32 anos..y puedo ver con orgullo sus frutos..tu y tu hermano.. ella les dio la vida y les enseno a ser excelentes seres humanos..y eso es mas que suficiente para que ella se sienta super feliz...estoy feliz por ella...y me alegro inmensamente saber...que son una familia unida...Dios los bendiga.
Martha Vallejos...la amiga de la chiquititud de tu mama. Yovita.
Shock total al ver las fotos de tu "hermanito" Ingrid!!! Yo todavia lo recuerdo niño. Bello tu post. besos!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletedamn, lil ricky grew up!!! your lil man looks precious, i miss him. when are you coming back?
ReplyDelete